A literature survey of the active ingredients used in Shadang Ghruta and its efficacy against Tridoshaj Atisara.Submitted by ANKITA M. SALVE on Sun, 03/05/2017 - 20:16
VD. ANKITA M. SALVE, VD. MAHESH P.INAMDAR.
- MD Scholar, Rasashasta and Bhaishajya kalpana Department, College Of Ayurveda and Research Centre, Nigdi, Pune-44.
- Professer, Rasashasta and Bhaishajya kalpana Department, College Of Ayurveda and Research Centre, Nigdi, Pune-44.
Abstract - Ghrut kalpana is one of the most utilized kalpana in today’s world. In this sneha kalpana the active ingredients of drugs are processed with ghruta. Atisara is characterized by passing of loose, watery stools. Types of Atisara are Vataj, Pittaj, Kaphaj and Tridoshaj. There are several formulations described in classics for Atisara, one amongst them is Shadang ghruta. This formulation is usually prescribed for tridoshaj Atisara. This article strives at giving a brief idea as to how the ingredients of Shadang Ghruta actually act on this disease. Thus indirectly proving the holistic action of the ingredients present in the Shadang Ghruta.
Keywords - Shadang ghruta, Tridoshaj Atisar, Indrayava, Daruharidra, Pippali, Sunthi, Laksha, Katuka
A literature survey of the active ingredients used in Shadang Ghruta and its efficacy against Tridoshaj Atisara.
Introduction - Atisara is characterized by passing of loose, watery stools. Types of Atisara are Vataj, Pittaj, Kaphaj and Tridoshaj. There are several formulations described in classics for Atisara, one amongst them is Shadang ghruta. It is a formulation noted in Chakradatta for tridoshaj Atisara.
Ingredients for Shadang Ghruta -
Indrayava consists of dried seeds of Holarrhena antidysentrica Wall. (Fam. Apocynaceae), Sanskrit: Bhadra Yava, Kalinga, Sakra, Vatsaka.
Pharmacological Actions - Antidiarrheal, Antioxidant, Anti - inflammatory.
Constituents - Alkaloids-Steroidal Alkaloid, Conessine etc. Fats, Tannin and Resin.
Properties and Action- Rasa: Katu, tikta;
Guna : Laghu, Ruksa;
Virya : Sita;
Vipaka : Katu;
Karma : Dipana, Sangrahi, Tridosasamak.
Therapeutic Uses - Atisara, Kusta, Jvratisara, Visarpa, Grahani, Raktatisara, Sula, Chardi, Tvakroga,Daha.
- Indrayava, seeds of Kutaj is tridoshaghna. It’s ruksha guna helps in absorption of kleda in pakvashaya, kshaya rasa and sheeta virya helps in stambhana of pakvamala. Katu vipaka helps in agnideepana. Its tikta rasa also acts on krumi. These seeds are used in the treatment of Atisara (dysentry), Raktajatisara etc. It contains alkaloids- steroidal alkaloid, conessine etc. It has good results in acute and chronic dysentery.
- Daruharidra consists of dried stem of Berberis aristata DC. (Fam. Berberidaceae), synonyms in Sanskrit Katamkateri, D¡rvi.
Pharmacological Actions- Antidiabetic, Antidiabetic, Anti-inflammatory,
Constituents – Alkaloids;
Properties and Action-Rasa:Tikta;
Karma -Stanya shodhana.
Therapeutic Uses -Kandu, Medoroga, Mukharoga, Vrana , Amatisara, Urustambha, Kapharoga, Karnaroga, Netraroga, Meha.
- Its ushna virya may help in malasangraha. All gunas of Daruharidra helps in Deepana karma. These Guna karma helps in malasangraha and agnideepana in Atisara.
Berberine is a chemical constituent present in Daruharidra, It has hepato- protective, antidiarrheal, antifungal and antibacterial etc. property.
- Pippali (Fruit) consists of the dried, han ture, catkin-like fruits with bracts of Piper longum Linn. (Fam. Piperaceae) synonyms in Sanskrit Kana, Magadhi, Magadha, Krsna, Saudi.
Pharmacological Actions – Antifungal, Antiamoebic, Antimicrobial, Anti-inflammatory, Hepatoprotective.
Constituents – Essential Oil and Alkaloids.
Properties and Action - Rasa:Madhura,Katu,Tikta;
Virya : Anusna;
Vipaka : Madhura;
Karma: Dipana, Hrdya, Kaphahara, Rucya, Tridosahara, Vatahara, Vrsya, Rasayana, Recana.
Therapeutic Uses -Sula, Arsa, Gulma, Hikka, Kasa, Krmi, Ksaya, Kustha, Pliha Roga, Prameha, Svasa, Trsna¸ Udara Roga, Ama Vata, Amadosa, Jvara.
- Its katu rasa and ushna, tikshna guna may shows krimighna property. Its snigdha, ushna guna may shows vatahara karma, so it cause vatanulomana because of this reduces pain. Its katu rasa helps in deepana.
Piper longum have a good antibacterial activity. It also possesses immuno-stimulatory activity.
- Sunthi - consists of dried rhizome of Zingiber officinale Roxb. (Fam. Zingiberaceae), synonyms in Sanskrit Ausadha, Muhausadha, Nagara, Visva, VisvabhesajaVisva.
Pharmacological Actions – Anticancer, Anti-inflammatory, Antipyretic, Antiemetic, Antioxidant.
Constituents - Essential oil, Pungent constituents (gingerol, shagol), resinous matter and starch.
Properties and Action- Rasa: Katu;
Guna: Laghu, Snigdha;
Virya : Usna;
Karma: Anulomana, Dipana, Hrdya, Pacana, Vatakaphapaha, Asmadosahara.
Therapeutic Uses - Agnimandya, Svasa, Adhmana, Amavata, Pandu, Udararoga.
- It helps in amadoshhara and pachana. It stimulates appetite. Hence, it works as an appetizer. Its ushna virya helps in anulomana and katu rasa act as an Agnideepana drug. It has antibacterial, antioxidant and antidiarrheal activity.
Laksha : Lacifer lacca / Kerria lacca; synonyms in Sanskrit Laksha.
Properties and Action- Rasa: Tikta, Kashaya;
Doshaghnata : Kaphapittashamak.
Therapeutic Uses- Jwara, Urdwanga raktapitta, Kasa, Hicca, Urakshata, visarpa, krimi, kushtha, atisara, raktapradara, Bhagna.
- As per literature survey, it states that Laksha is tikta, Kashaya rasatmak. Hence, its kashaya rasa may work as stambhana. It is used in injury for healing. It may heal intestinal layer which get damage in Atisara. Laksha has anti-inflammatory property.
- Katuka (Rhizome) consists of the dried rhizome with root of Picrorhiza kurroa Royle ex Benth. (Fam. Scrophulariaceae); synonyms in Sanskrit Tikta, Tiktarohini, Kaurohini, Kavi, Sutiktaka, Kauka, Rohini.
Pharmacological Actions – Antiviral, Antioxidant, Hepatoprotective, Antipyretic.
Constituents - Glucoside (Picrorhizin).
Properties and Action- Rasa: Katu, Tikta ;
Guna: Laghu ;
Virya: Usna ;
Vipaka: Katu ;
Karma: Hrdya, Pittahara, Dipani, Bhedini, Jvrahara.
Therapeutic Uses - Svasa, Daha, Jvara, Kamala, kustha, Visamajvara, Arocana.
- Its katu rasa act as agnideepana. Its karma as pachana. It containspicrorrhazin, cucurbitacine,glycosides, volinic acid etc. It may act as an antioxidant, anti –inflammatory, Antiviral.
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India,Part -| Volume -1,Government of India Minutesistry of Health and family welfare Department of AYUSH,New Delhi, First edition.(page no. 138,139)
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India,Part -| Volume -2,Government of India Minutesistry of Health and family welfare Department of AYUSH,New Delhi, First edition (page no.34,35,36,91,92,93)
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India,Part -| Volume -3,Government of India Minutesistry of Health and family welfare Department of AYUSH,New Delhi, First edition.(page no.67,68)
- The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India,Part -| Volume -4,Government of India Minutesistry of Health and family welfare Department of AYUSH,New Delhi, First edition.(page no.105,106)
- Professor GS Lavekar, Database on medicinal plants used in Ayurveda and Siddha,New Delhi, Reprint 2008 ,published by central council for research in Ayurveda and Siddha, volume -1,page no.120; volume- 2 page no.347; volume -3 page no. 472; volume -5 page no. 315; volume - 7 page no.179
- Pro. K.Chunekar, Bhavprakash Nighantu, Varanasi, Chaukambhmba Visvabharti oriental publishers,Reprintin2013(pageno.-12, 15, 67,73, 110, 114,115)